How to Maintain Milk Supply while Exercising + Losing Weight



One of the top questions and concerns I get from my new mama clients is the concern of breastfeeding as it relates to exercise, nutrition and weight loss. Many new moms are scared and fearful that they will lose their milk supply if they implement any new changes into their diet or exercise regimen. This is a very valid concern! As new moms we just want to do the best for our babies at all cost! We work so hard to be able to breastfeed them regularly (went through the early months of pain) and don't want to sacrifice anything to lose that mother/baby attachment or risk our babies not being well nourished!

I completely understand the concerns of new moms as I've had all of them myself at one point or another. However after much research and consultation with medical professionals I've learned some very important information to help moms maintain their milk supply and still be able to effectively lose weight and exercise after having babies.

First, I'd like to point out that the myth that exercise causes a decrease in milk supply is absolutely FALSE. We've been spoon fed this myth which is very old school and simply not true! There is actually NO evidence that moderate exercise will negatively affect your milk supply. In addition, only about 2% of women actually suffer from a condition that prevents them from producing milk. So if you do notice a drop in milk supply its highly likely that its one of the reasons I have listed below and NOT your activity level or a special condition.

I do believe that if you are breastfeeding mom its important that you are not causing your body extra stress, I believe stress can be more the culprit than ANYTHING for a loss in supply!


Typically if your milk supply is low its because of one of 3 reasons...


1. You're under eating.  

If your milk supply is low it could mean you're not eating sufficient amount of calories to support lactation.  If you go into a caloric deficit your milk supply will drop and weight loss will stall to preserve your milk supply.

You should be eating 500+ more calories than normal and generally just listening to your body!!! Graze on foods throughout the day.  You shouldn't feel like you are stuffing your face and gorging yourself to eat enough calories.  Listen to your body's natural cues on eating.  You should not be eating less than 1800 calories per day as a breastfeeding mother.  Eating a sufficient amount of calories a normal weight loss will occur at .5-1.5lbs per week.  


2. You're not eating nutritionally dense foods.  

If you are eating empty calories that are nutrient deficient this could cause you to have a lower milk supply.  Adding lots of nutrient dense foods into your diet like chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut oil, fish, omega 3 fatty acids, nuts, fresh fruits, leafy greens, eggs, etc is a great idea.  In addition, paying attention to your macro nutrient ratios is important as well! Eating a well balanced diet is extremely important. You shouldn't be excluding carbs, protein or healthy fats from your diet - all are essential to energy production and eating them in the right amounts is vital!


3. You're not nursing on demand or not nursing often enough.

Lots of skin to skin contact and nursing when you baby is hungry (on demand) is vital. One issue I've seen with moms losing milk supply is that they are pumping more than they are actually having skin to skin contact with their baby. This is definitely difficult for moms who are working full time outside the home but it is something to be cognizant about if you notice a drop in supply. Make sure to get extra skin to skin contact when you are home with your baby or seek the help of a lactation consultant to get support.  


It’s very important to know that milk-production is a supply and demand process. The more milk you demand from your breasts from direct feeding or from pumping (the greater influencer being direct feeding as it’s more efficient), the more your body will begin to produce. So, any number of things can influence how much you produce based on supply and demand: (1) whether or not you’re supplementing with formula, (2) whether or not you’re direct feeding or pumping into a bottle (the latch makes a difference in the amount produced), (3) how old your baby is, and (4) whether you feed on a schedule or you feed on demand.


So you may actually be producing the normal amount for your baby and their age and not even know it!

I hope these tips help you to maintain your supply while on your post baby health journey! Please make sure to consult your physician or lactation consultant for your specific needs.


If you’re a mom wanting to learn more about how to burn fat and lose weight you can download a FREE copy of my 5 Day Nursing Mama Meal Guide by clicking here. Or learn more about my Body Back Bootcamp 4 week plan that is suitable for breastfeeding moms.

Click to Download







© Jackie Peterson Fitness 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.



*All reviews posted on my blog are my own views and opinions. There are times when I may review or feature a product and I have received compensation in the form of product for my personal use or for use in a giveaway, discounts toward purchase for my followers, monetary compensation, or any combination of those three things. If I have been compensated for a post, Ill post it below the post. Full disclosure is always given and no exceptions will be made in order to conceal my relationship with a company or product line. I also feature product links on my website, in my individual blog posts and in my videos. I am an affiliate for a few companies, and I receive a small percentage of the sales revenue when a sale results from a link on my site.

IMPORTANT WARNING: I’m not a doctor, and I don’t know your personal health history. The information in my blog and in this program is only a suggestion. Please consult your physician and use your own judgment before trying any exercise or diet program.

Click here for your FREE 5 DAY NURSING MAMA MEAL PLAN

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram